Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

On the road: What to wear for business travel?

3 flights in 4 days is about as crazy as my travel itinerary gets (come to think about it i've done 7 flights in 6 days including transits too)... i'm only excited about flying if (a) it brings me to an exotic location that I've never been before or (b) it's for vacation :) suddenly it doesn't matter that I'll be cramped up in a 50cm x 50cm space (better in newer planes like A380) for x hours, that food rarely taste yummy (SQ so far has been the most decent), and my tv screen shrinks and has absolutely horrible resolution (i need an iPad). But when it comes to travelling for business (on economy), all I wish is to have Hiro Nakamura's (in Heroes) teleportation power so I can skip this uncomfortable experience.

Sadly, no matter how hard I tried to focus, I still had no reason to exclaim 'Yatta' when I opened my eyes. So I guess I can only try my best to make the flight as comfortable as possible.

1. Breathe well. Select clothes which are fitting, but not too tight. Clothes are that are too tight may restrict movement, and we don't want to look frumpy wearing clothes that are too loose. I usually go for cotton or knits for tops and well-fitted pants for bottoms.

Tip: Knits may be the most comfy but it's also the most static-prone material. Usually it'll go away a while after you land... just don't rub your blankie too much against your knits!

2. Crisp look. Sometimes we have to just hop from airport to client meeting, and don't have much time in between to change. Take care not to crumple your shirt and blazer so you can still maintain your professional image. Flight attendants typically can help with storing of blazer in a closet. For shirts, opt for a wrinkle-free material such as Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts.

3. Accidents happen. I usually avoid whites or light-colours when I travel, in case a newbie flight attendant or clumsy passenger spills something on me. As I try to pack light when I travel, I may not have spares for such incidents. Fingers crossed, so far this has not happened to me yet...

4. Keep warm. A cardigan, pashmina scarf, sweater or jacket comes in handy to keep me warm for napping on the plane. Pick a fashionable-looking one, and it works great as a a chic accessory when you land too!

5. Walk well. I admire women who wear six-inch stilettos and are still able to tow their suitcases and laptop bags in style. I wish I can be one of them, unfortunately my bad knee can't take that much beating so I've taken to flats when I travel. Ballet pumps and loafers go with any outfit.

My fav pair of flats has to be this croc-skin JipiJapa pumps. They have braved through many airports and cities with me, and is looking battered now. :( I got them in Hong Kong and couldn't find the exact replacement when I went back recently...

Apart from dressing, there are other things to take note of as well:
6. Bed tresses? One of my pet peeves of flying is that my hair will look a mess - either so much static has gathered and my fly-ends can't be tamed, or a wrong sitting/sleeping position has led to what look likes a curling-thong misuse. Bring along some hair wax or serum in your hand carry (in allowable amounts), and if all else fails, I'll bun or tie my hair up in a pony tail. Babes with short hair could go for stylish hair clips or hair bands.

7. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Can't emphasize this enough. Our body and skin thirsts for moisture when we're at 30,000 feet. Drink loads of water and slap on as much hand cream/moisturizer as possible. Spray mist also offer good relieve to travel fatigue.

8. What did the weatherman say? I once landed in 10 degrees only to have my summer jacket *gasp*. My lifeline was my gal-friend who generously lent me her trench coat and scarf for the week!

So before I master my teleportation skills, I have to make travelling as pleasant as possible. Sometimes it just takes looking out of the window and enjoying the amazing view of the horizon - priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment